Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these He has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. II Peter 1:2-4
When I was in college, and a new believer, I heard of His great and precious promises. People would teach us some of what they are. When my eldest was nine, and I was at a very low point in my life, the Lord reminded me of these verses, and promised me that He would never forsake me. I had 48 hours of problems in Paris and all the way back home, in which He provided for us, step by step, beginning with being separated from our tour at Versailles, continuing with my purse being stolen on the train, getting it back, minus the money but with our passports- a miracle. We had some money and traveller's checks separate. These had to be exchanged and at night it was not possible, so each time we had to wait on God to provide the next step. Even with certain things prearranged, they were not always dependable. God only was. At each step, I would hear, "everything pertaining to life and godliness," until I started repeating it to myself. For 21 years now, I have held onto this passage.
Peace of mind and unmerited favor/forgiveness is mine in abundance only through having a relationship with God the Father and Jesus his son. (verse 1 says this is written to those who have this.) How do I receive this? Again v.1 says "through the righteousness of God and our savior Jesus," not through my own merit. These are promises, along with many others throughout scripture. How do I access them?
His divine power (omnipotence) has provided us-with everything we need to sustain our lives. Not only physical needs, but spiritual are also given. We receive these as we walk with Him/abide with Him. Everyday, every year, just as in a marriage we increase our understanding of who we relate to-through our knowledge of Him. This is not merely an intellectual knowledge of theology, philosophy.
The Dakes says the word knowledge is epignosis: recognition, full discernment, based on epiginosko-to become fully acquainted with, to acknowledge, perceive.
The Lexical aid states further-it is greater than gnosis because it expresses a more thorough and exact participation in the object of knowledge by the knowing subject.
Now Peter was one of the top three disciples, so he had literally years (3) of experience walking, eating, sleeping, praying with, fishing with Jesus. None of us could expect to compare what all he knew of Jesus. But he is not writing of the man Jesus. He includes other believers in their ability to know-God has given to "us," not just him, these things.
Later in the chapter Peter says that he will work to make sure the things he has to share will be available even after he dies. He reminds them that he and the other disciples did not "follow cleverly invented stories when we told you about the power and the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty." This statement is followed by his testimony about Jesus in his glory-at the mountain of transfiguration.
For he received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory saying, "This is my Son whom I love, with Him I am well pleased." We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain.
"Through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness" -i.e. the deity we know. Peter, as did John, progressed in his understanding: testifying of the work of Jesus on earth, but worshipping and serving the Son of God at the right hand of the Father. Jesus intercedes for us now. We will never have the experience of walking with him down a dirt road, but we do have available the very same opportunity to know our sovereign god.
He "called us by his own glory and goodness". It was not out of my own goodness, or his need for me. He is good, and the glory of his awesomeness just explodes in kindness. The longer I am saved, the more times I have experienced his deliverances, his kindnesses, his blessings. We develop a kind of mental file on Him-I know He can do this, because He's done this for me before. When we become familiar with His goodness and His glory, we more confidently trust Him and believe the promises we have read. They become like a bank account. I know I have this available to me, I can count on it, so I use it.
Through reading the Scripture (Bible) I discover more of the promises-these very great and precious promises. Several verses down Peter discusses other parts of Scripure and reassures us that the Holy Spirit is the source of them, so we should have no problem counting on them. What is the point of the promises-to get rich, to ensure physical safety, or whatever we want god to get for us? No. The point is "through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires."
That is His work, to deliver us, remove all the filth and make us holy. To give us victory instead of defeat. No one on their own can have that victory. Next Peter provides pointers on how to work on this-to cooperate in the work, but that is another post.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment