Friday, August 6, 2010

Groaning

For a couple of years now I have chronicled my wrestling with my concern for Muslims. Sometimes I argue, then I get sick at my stomach, almost literally in pain about these issues. While vomiting doesn't occur, my stomach does feel discomforted.(I should note, I've never been shy about arguing, nor of expressing my opinion in public or private to stand up against those with whom I disagree.)It happened again the other day. Some smart alec was insulting Christians and the Bible (Jesus and Paul, specifically) when no one was answering his comments. I did, while my replies held barbs of my own. For the such glaring problems inherent in Islam stun me that anyone can get past the history of Islam and its founders to even bother to discuss its theology.

As was pointed out with Bill Clinton, character matters. Messengers-who they are, is as important as the message. If they are questionable, the content also is seriously suspect. I started feeling bad, not wanting to put a mean spirit onto a wall that was made for considerate and compassionate interaction. I had only answered the posts, and it was not my fault that Allah's Apostle did many of the things he did. That these problems arose irritates Muslims to speak about. Doesn't bother them that they happened, but we mustn't mention it. Somehow it never occurs to them to rethink how this could allow those acting it out to be holy, or question whether the Almighty would communicate with such as this. (Even though the Koran actually brings up these questions that were asked by Mohammed's opponents.) Anyway, I was being as obtuse as now, and then the remorse for not being able to merely show love to these folks hit me.

Truly I desire only to express the Lord's great love for and to them. During the night I prayed and interceded for them, for a great move of God to bring the good news of Jesus to those locked into countries wherein they are not allowed to hear or think of the message. Asking for a great harvest among them, I finally understood my groanings.

The Apostle Paul spoke of travailing in labor for the Galatians, until Christ is formed in them. First Corinthians speaks of the whole creation groaning as if in childbirth, and the church as well, waiting for the sons of god to be revealed. And it tells us about the work of the Spirit of God in revealing God's wisdom, in allowing us to discern what He has planned for those who trust in Him. Romans chapter 8 tells us the Spirit discerns our groaning when we do not know what or how to pray, and prays according to the mind of God. The groanings and the stomach aches are travailing in childbirth, for that which the Spirit of God leads us to pray.

No comments: