Another thing I note, which partly refers back to the post about the safety of our Scriptures: As Peter noted of Paul's letters, they were already acknowledged as Christian scriptures. Jesus' best friend (the equivalent of Abu Bakr in closeness), the man John is known by many names. The Apostle John, Saint John-as in the Gospel according to St. John, or as John the son of Zebedee, a Son of Thunder, he had much to say. The latter names are used more by those who want to prove separation from the concepts of sainthood associated with the Catholic and other Orthodox churches. He lived into the second century A.D., staying on the island of Patmos in his later years. So not only did the various apostles and disciples have a chance to interact, they read each other's writings. Might they have helped edit, make suggestions, or remind the other of something left out? Certainly.
As a would-be writer, I know that many versions of every manuscript exist. I might think something is finished, but then something new occurs to me. So I have no problem with something that was not in the earliest manuscripts being actually part of Scripture. Fortunately, I do not need to worry. All of the important theology is included in the earliest manuscripts, so nothing really is left to injure my faith.
And my faith is not in the writings of herders, prophets, kings, or fishermen, or the occasional priest. It is in the power of my Father to protect what He leaves for us. It is in the Holy Spirit to guide men. Men were used, fallible ones. But the All Powerful, Ever present Creator is bigger and stronger. To that I can trust. As you probably do too, but I have signs and proofs of the works in which I believe, not to mention the work of the Holy Spirit in my heart. You can believe whatever you want. I merely note that some objections have answers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment